How do you know what to ask an architect when you’re considering hiring one? For many, it’s a bit of a mystery because it’s not often that people have an opportunity to work with an architect on a renovation or new construction project, more than once during their lifetime. So where do you start?
Well, I have found that the American Institute of Architects (AIA) is a great resource to begin with. And while there is much to consider when hiring an architect, the following list, provided through the AIA New Jersey chapter, is a super helpful starting point! So, as you embark on any project that requires an architect, the following 20 Questions to Ask Your Architect is a super helpful resource.
- What does the architect see as important issues or considerations in your project? What are the challenges of the project?
- How will the architect gather information about your needs, goals, etc.?
- How will the architect establish priorities and make decisions?
- Who from the architecture firm will you be dealing with directly? Is it the same person who will be designing the project? If not, who will be designing it?
- How interested is the architect in this project?
- How busy is the architect?
- What sets this architect apart from the rest?
- How will you be able to relate fee payments to milestones in the architect’s scope of work?
- How does the architect establish fees? When will fee payments be expected?
- What would the architect expect the fee to be for this project?
- What are the steps in the design process?
- How does the architect organize the process?
- What does the architect expect you to provide?
- Does the architect have a specific design style? Can he/she show examples of past design work?
- What is the architect’s experience/track record with cost-estimating?
- What will the architect show you along the way to explain the project? Will you see models, drawings, or sketches?
- If the scope of the project changes later in the project, will there be additional fees? How will these fees be justified?
- What services does the architect provide during construction?
- How disruptive will construction be? How long does the architect expect it to take to complete your project?
- Can the architect provide a list of past clients with whom he or she has worked?
And, if you have more questions about finding a great architect for your project, feel free to reach out to draw anytime. You’ll find us very approachable and easy to talk to. No snooty judgments here, just a down to earth resource to help you along the way.